Monday, November 15, 2010

Debate of Our Own

I really enjoyed reading Rick Trevino’s  opinions on the Perry/White debate debacle, especially considering we have different viewpoints. I believe that campaigning is a mix of media, speaking, articles, etc. that lets the people become more acquainted to the candidates. For the incumbent to basically hold an ultimatum to his opponent and fail to show up to a debate is rude. He is voted for and working for the people. To deny the people the right to hear a debate seems unjust. He wanted White to disclose his previous tax records and since White wouldn’t, Perry stated he wouldn’t debate. I feel as though that is for the people to decide. I believe that we have an intelligent voting pool. If a voter sees that White refuses to disclose something then they will make their own decisions based on this action. Perry is not some God sitting on a thrown that we all bow down to. He is a man that wants to get elected.
I do see his point and it is valid. I suppose that this situation hit me on a more moral level then thinking about the strategic move it in. Strategically it may have been very smart for him to not show. However, I personally don’t like the man at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment